Monday 13 April 2009

Considering the fate of my NX...

Well, the MOT didn't deliver great news - I expected that it might be a fail, but it turns out the NX needs a fair bit of welding, as well as a catalytic converter replaced.

Overall, it's not an extortionate cost - the local garage estimated an MOT pass for about £300 of work.

But it looks like I'll be commuting more in the future, so won't need a car for getting to work - and can I really justify a second car for the occasional weekend trip? Plus, after getting an MOT pass, there's a few jobs which will need fixing for the future.

So I have a dilemma.

So far, the choice is to sell the car as a whole, strip it for parts (it's got some nice aftermarket bits fitted), or take it off the road and consider taking the time and effort to restore it properly (without a garage or a car lift, this is likely to mean professional help and a fair bit of expense).

I've been trying to decide for a while, in between sulking that the MOT was due just before the weather started getting better and I could at least have enjoyed a bit of summer cruising with the roof down...

Rest assured I'll have a decision shortly - after all, selling it or taking it off the road means I need to reclaim some of the car tax and cancel the insurance, so the longer I wait, the less I save.

In the meantime, if you're interested in snapping up what would be a great NX for someone with access to welding equipment, or a really cost effective donor car for parts including seats, alloys, lowered suspension, plus original roof cards and roof panel bags, give me a shout... (thewayoftheweb at googlemail dot com)

No comments: