Saturday 31 May 2008

Insuring a modified car...covering the Nissan 100 NX

I managed to ignore all the wise advice I've ever read or heard about car insurance, and instead of planning ahead to phone numerous companies, I left it to the last minute.

I thought all the constant advertising for insurance comparison websites might mean they would save time, but it seems the combination of a modified car, and a non-UK driver (my partner has a full European licence), meant that I only got one or two quotes at the end of the process, and Tesco Compare managed to bring me about 15 companies that all refused to quote me!

More annoyingly, when I phoned a couple of the firms listed, it turned out they were happy to give me a reasonable quote!

In the end it came down to a choice between my current insurer - Direct Line -, and a policy sourced through Adrian Flux. The financial difference was only about £25, but the Adrian Flux option was far more suitable to someone modifying a car - cosmetic upgrades won't increase my premium, and performance upgrades are calculated on a percentage increase based on the performance increase.

Mind you, as the Nissan is 15 years old, and as powerful as a slight breeze, I can probably fit a nitrous bottle, and it would only boost things back to the level it left the factory!

Right...off to tackle some rust, and finally give the carpets a good clean. I'm debating whether to just get some shiny new car mats, or go the whole hog and fit a custom aluminium floor. I think it'll depend on what horrors might be lurking under the carpet!

No comments: